Pregnancy and childbirth lead to exhaustion and exhaustion of the body of the animal. Feeding goats after lambing is aimed at the speedy recovery of their entire body, including the reproductive organs.
Why change the diet?
Even before lambing changes the diet of the goat. The cub is growing rapidly, it consumes more vitamins and substances, which can lead the goat to disease or exhaustion. Therefore, they begin to give preservatives, concentrated feed, and almost completely exclude silage, bard, straw, and root vegetables.
After birth, the diet changes again. If, before giving birth, the goal was to provide a standard of nutrients for the animal and the calf, then feeding the goat after lambing is aimed at restoring the young mom. After lambing the goat is weak, it can start to hurt or refuse to eat for several days. She needs recovery. But, in addition, postpartum feeding is aimed at improving milk production. The more milk - the better for the kid and his owners.
What to give in the first hours after lambing?Read also these articles.
- Bashkir duck
- Bentham Breed
- Application of copper sulfate
- The best meat and egg breeds of chickens
Goat with kids after lambing
On the lamb leaves a lot of strength and energy of a young goat. Therefore, feed and water should be prepared in the stall. Most goats refuse to eat after childbirth, but there are exceptions, so it is better to be safe. Hay from legume-cereals, mash from bran and root crops are given as food.
Seasoned breeders recommend watering a goat with a mash of brewed bran, water and sugar after lambing. In this diet, there is a sufficient amount of carbohydrates and proteins that will not only help rejuvenate the animal, but also contribute to the active production of milk.
If the goat has refused to eat, it must at least be drunk. From this she hardly refuses. You can offer ordinary water or amniotic fluid. The latter are much more nutritious and better for the body. It is noticed that they can contribute to the fastest recovery, as well as contribute to the reverse development of the uterus.
What is the diet for goats after lambing?
After a day or two, the goat gradually returns to normal - her appetite returns. But you do not need to feed her everything - a certain diet is established!
Summer goat diet
Feeding a goat after lambing includes:
- 100 g of wheat bran;
- 200 g of flattened barley or oats;
- 0.5-1 kg of vegetables and root vegetables (pre-chopped);
- 0.5-3 kg of hay.
The menu is designed for one day. As you can see most of the diet is hay. It should be useful and high quality. It is even possible for the recovery period to purchase more expensive hay from selected herbs useful for goats.
Great benefit in the period of feeding goats after lambing, brings the addition of glucose to food. Instead, you can safely use the molasses, sugar or sugar beet. They are rich in easily digestible carbohydrates, which are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, contribute to the restoration of the animal's body.
Winter goat diet
To increase the yield you need to make a slightly different diet. Its basis is mixed feed: barley, oats, wheat, bran, corn, premix, herbal flour, fodder yeast. In the first 3 days after birth, 300 grams of this mixture is given. Then the amount of weekly increase by 100 grams until the yield stabilizes. Later, despite the feeding, it will still be reduced, but it should be so - this is a normal process.
In addition to the feed, milk-based products such as silage, roots and vegetables are added to the diet to increase milk yield. It is possible in the veterinary clinic to buy special vitamin supplements that will increase the yield and have a positive impact on the restoration of the goat.
What advise breeders?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting onions on a turnip
- Akhal-Teke horse
- Pumpkin Jam Recipes
- How to grow leek
Keeping the goat in the pen after the lambing
- It is important not to overfeed a goat before birth. Obesity can lead to difficult childbirth. After childbirth, obesity can also worsen the lactation or health of the animal.
- A goat can cope with childbirth itself, but there should be several people in the stall. While some will deal with a newborn, others may go in for a goat.
- If the birth was difficult, the goat after them began to hurt or did not eat for several days, it is recommended to inject intravenously glucose solution and calcium borgluconate. But to appoint such procedures should only be a veterinarian.
- After giving birth a goat should not be let out on the field or in the meadow. During the recovery period, it should be in the pen. The fact is that the fresh grass that she will eat can spoil her digestion. So, it is excluded from the diet, but it is possible, instead of it, to give dried, cut grass.