Low-growing tomato varieties are often planted instead of their tall relatives for a reason. The positive qualities of the species make it possible to obtain large yields with minimal expenditure of funds and forces. The article will consider the most promising and fruitful undersized varieties that should be planted in open ground or in the greenhouse.
Features low-growing varieties of tomatoes
Before proceeding to consider directly the varieties of short-growing tomatoes, it is necessary to determine their features, what they stand out for and why they are recommended to be planted in young, inexperienced gardeners.
Low-growing tomato varieties are actively developing and give a rich harvest.
- Low-growing varieties do not require a garter; they do not need an abundance of attention, which tall species need.
- Actively develop, give a rich harvest.
- Fruit together.
Low-growing tomato varieties belong to the determinant group of plants, which is divided into 3 subgroups:
- semi-determinant - grown in the open field, stepson only in order to bring fruiting;
- determinant - do not require a garter, do not stepchild;
- superdeterminant varieties stepson, they give friendly, early fruit.
What are the best fruit tomatoes?Read also these articles.
- Korean cucumbers for the winter
- Breeding pigs
- Fattening calves for meat
- Rabbits of meat breeds
Gardeners themselves choose the best varieties for their plot. The choice is based on the quality characteristics of the plant, the location of the site, the climate, as well as personal preferences. Below are the best crop varieties of low-growing tomatoes.
The best fruit varieties of low-growing tomatoes
- "Budenovets F1" differs in the increased productivity - 26 kg / m. sq. Shrubs grow to 100 cm, fruits ripen on 95-105 day. Tomatoes heart-shaped, weighing 115 grams, solid, used for salads.
- "Anastasia F1" grows up to 70 cm in height, matures in 105 days. Productivity - 18-25 kg / sq. M. It is resistant to some common diseases of cultivated plants. Vegetables have a mass of up to 110 grams, fleshy, juicy, used for fresh consumption and processing - well transported.
- "Raspberry Giant" - low-growing tomato, gives from a square meter to 20 kg of large juicy, sweetish tomatoes each weighing 200-300 grams. The color of the fruit is raspberry-pink. Resistant to black bacterial blotch and fusarium. Well transported, used in salads.
- "Aurora F1" has a yield of 12-15 kg / m. sq. Early and amicable matures (90 days). In a few days, 60% of the crop is harvested, which allows you to make a good conservation or sell the product on the market. Tomatoes have a spherical shape, red, the pulp is dense, but juicy. The hybrid has universal application. Not afraid of tobacco mosaic virus and Alternaria.
- "Roma" grows in small bushes up to 70 cm. Gives small vegetables weighing 70-80 grams, elongated. Usually processed, due to the fact that they have small sizes. Productivity - 12-15 kg tomato per square meter. The grade is recommended for inexperienced gardeners.
What grades are better for open ground?
Practically all varieties of low-growing tomatoes can be planted in the open soil, which allows you to choose a variety according to your own preferences.
The best varieties of low-growing tomatoes for open ground
- "Guarantor" recommended for planting in open ground due to resistance to all sorts of diseases and pests. The yield of 12-15 kg per square meter. The tomato has a bright red color, weighs 100 g, does not crack, is used fresh or preserved. The grade is early, ripens in 90-95 days.
- "Katyusha F1" - cold-resistant hybrid. 9-10 kg of crop is harvested per square meter. Early, ripens in 80-85 days. Vegetables are medium in size, rich in red color, fleshy, juicy. The plant is resistant to fusarium, cladosporia and tobacco mosaic virus. Not bad transported and stored.
- "Crown" grows up to 45 cm tall. Productivity - 8-10 kg / m. sq. 110-115 days pass from the first shoots to ripening. The ripened fruit has a red color without a dark spot at the base, weight is 120-140 g, fleshy flesh is used fresh.
The following low-growing varieties of tomato can also be grown in the open field: "Currency", "Dubrava", "Eldorado", "Supermodel", "Riddle", "Red Fang", "Golden Stream".
What sorts of tomatoes are better for greenhouses?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting garlic in the fall
- Geranium Flower
- Early varieties of plums
- Calf diseases and treatment
In greenhouses and greenhouses grown tall, familiar to all, tomatoes, but when there is no time for the care and care of the bushes, it is necessary to give preference to low-growing relatives. So which ones are most in demand?
The best low-growing varieties of tomatoes for the greenhouse
- "Orange Princess" - a variety that appeared several years ago and has already received a lot of fans. 10-25 kg of fruits are harvested from a bush, although painstaking care for a bush can increase yields by 1.5 times! The fruits are orange, have a sweetish taste, dense, very juicy, universal use. Until full maturity requires 90 days.
- "Sanka" gives in the greenhouse 10-15 kg of fruits, in open ground yield is reduced to 5-9 kg / sq. m. Fruiting long. Tomatoes have a pleasant orange-red color, juicy, sweetish.
- "Magus H " hybrid variety. Ripens early, 65 days of the growing season. Fruits weighing up to 180 g, red, rounded. The crop is planted rather thickly, as dense plantings increase fruiting. It grows quickly, but for good development it is important that there is no condensate in the greenhouse. Disease is not afraid.
- "Mascot" - an interesting and unusual variety. It is grown up in an open ground, greenhouses, winter gardens, on window sills, balconies. You can plant in open ground, large boxes or simple flower pots. The plant is resistant to many diseases. Fruit weight on average 20 g. The flesh is sweet, juicy, very tasty.
It should be noted that in this group almost all low-growing cherry trees are very popular. Of them stand out: "Aztec", "Duckling", "Little Red Riding Hood", "Banana Feet". The weight of their fruit ranges from 15 to 20g. They are used in salads, can be preserved, used for salting, decorating and cooking all sorts of dishes.
In addition, tomato varieties are often grown in greenhouses: “Ryabchik”, “Raja”, “Pink Honey”. They have an average yield, but are resistant to the typical microclimate of the greenhouse.