Finding a good potato variety is incredibly difficult. Taste and quality are rarely combined in one variety. Potato Luck is an exception to the rule. He has tasty tubers, and the culture grows quickly and without significant difficulties in care.
What does Luck potato variety look like?
The plant has sprawling bushes up to 40 cm high. The leaves are dark green, dissected. Blooms massively, but not for long. Flowers are white, after them seed seeds are formed in a small amount. The growing season is 80-90 days, but from 45 days you can try the harvest. From a bush about 10-15 potatoes gather. Defective potatoes are rarely encountered, except with frequent plant diseases or improper care. As a rule, commodity output is 87-97%.
Potatoes are small, weighing 150 grams. Form - rounded oval, small eyes
Potatoes are small, weighing 150 grams. Form - rounded oval, small eyes, they are few. The color of the peel is creamy, at the time of full maturity it becomes light brown. The flesh is white, but if the plant is fed with potash or chloride fertilizers, it may be yellowish.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the variety?Read also these articles.
- Winter hardy varieties of peaches
- Sweet cherry jam
- Business on growing greens
- Muscovy Duck Content
Unlike many other varieties of domestic breeding, Luck potato has several advantages.
Fortune potatoes can be cooked, fried, stewed. The flesh is very tender, juicy, but not watery
- Culture develops and grows well already at a temperature of +10 degrees. In the middle regions, it can be planted from the end of April, and in the north - from mid-May.
- Refers to the most delicious species. You can cook, fry, stew - during processing does not fall apart, suitable for making mashed potatoes. The flesh is very tender, juicy, but not watery.
- Rarely affected by disease. Resistance to scab, cancer, wrinkled mosaic is observed.
- The harvest ripens in 45 days. True, during this period the tubers are small, but very tasty, tender. From the 60th day of ripening, the potato yield of Luck is about 25-45 t / ha.
- Transportability is high. Apart from the fact that it can be transported over long distances, it is also resistant to various mechanical damages, so that it can be assembled with the help of specialized equipment, and not manually.
- Long shelf life makes it very profitable for sale. Under optimal conditions it may lie until the next harvest! The shelf life of the appearance or taste is not reflected.
There are not many flaws in the variety, but every gardener should be aware of them, as with the right approach to planting and care, they can be completely avoided.
- When planting in a cold, cold ground rhizome develops for a long time, which can slow down the fruiting.
- The neglect of rows leads to low yields. Tubers need a lot of room to grow.
- It can be affected by Alternaria, blight, golden nematode, but with timely treatment of the plant, diseases can be avoided.
How to plant potatoes?
The main difference and advantage of the Luck variety is that it grows on different soil types. The best predecessors of the culture are siderats, cucumbers, melons and beans. In autumn, the soil is prepared - dug up to a depth of 20 cm along with humus or compost. In the spring, the earth is loosened, leveled, for better growth you can make various nitrogen fertilizers.
Type of landing - any convenient. Rows do at a distance of 30-45 cm. Between the individual pits should be 20 cm of free space.
Tubers are pre-cooked. Since Luck potato has a large mass, it is better to divide each tuber into 3-4 parts and germinate already cut. Each part should have up to 4 eyes. For germination takes the best material - bad, damaged, rejected. Slices of wood ash. Then it is necessary to put the potato parts in a small layer in boxes and fold them for germination in a bright room with a temperature of 16-18 degrees Celsius.
Type of landing - any convenient. Rows do at a distance of 30-45 cm. Between the individual pits should be 20 cm of free space. It is worth pouring a small amount (handful) of the compost mixture with wood ashes into the finished wells. Before planting, potatoes should be sorted by size. Since it is the size of the tuber strongly affects the germination. Whole medium-sized potatoes are buried by 8-10 cm, and sliced, small ones - by 5-6 cm. After planting, the holes are covered with earth.
Are there any difficulties in care?We recommend reading our other articles.
- How to freeze zucchini
- Quail brooder
- The best varieties of early cabbage
- White Swan Peach
Caring for potato varieties Luck is not time consuming
Caring for potato varieties Luck is not time consuming. The plant must be weeded in time, remove the weeds. It is important to note that in case of sudden frosts, it is necessary to cover the beds with a film or at least with agrofibre to protect the shoots from freezing. In the absence of such material, you can simply pile up the seedlings with earth.
Top dressing is made not often. It is better to use nitrogen fertilizers during the growth period of the surface part. Norm substances worth looking at the package. Exceeding it may lead to poor storage of the culture.
Often it is not necessary to water, otherwise the roots will rot. This is done only under the condition of extreme heat or during a drought. Of course, from time to time the ground part is sprayed from late blight, Colorado potato beetle, etc.
When to harvest?
The first harvest can be tried 14 days after the appearance of flowers
The first harvest can be tried 14 days after the appearance of flowers. But do not rush to dig. To test one bush digging up one side. If the extreme tuber is smaller than a chicken egg in size, then the fossa is dug in and the potatoes are left to ripen for a few more days.
Whole Fortune potatoes are harvested around early August. A sign that it is ripe, is a dried ground plant tops. Approximately 5-7 days before the digging of tubers, it is cut, leaving stumps along which you can see where to dig. After digging, the crop is dried to remove excess soil, then bagged and transferred to a dry, cool, dark storage space.