In appearance, guinea fowls resemble a cross between a chicken and a turkey. They have tender, dietary meat, they give tasty and very healthy eggs, and it is not difficult to maintain them. But there is one problem. Breeds for home breeding (not wild) are mostly devoid of maternal instinct, therefore an incubator is always used to get young stock. Incubation of guinea fowls at home is not a difficult process, but it requires compliance with certain rules and regulations, which will be discussed later in the article.
How to choose an incubator?
The choice of an incubator for breeding guinea fowl depends on different moments. Below are items that are worth paying attention to when buying this or that device.
- Incubator for hatching guinea fowl must be able to operate continuously for 28 days. So it should be equipped with a built-in battery, which, in the absence of voltage, can save the situation.
- There must be protection against overheating, even a slight increase in temperature for a few seconds can destroy all eggs.
The choice of an incubator for breeding guinea fowers depends on different moments.
- The machine must have automatic and manual setting of temperature, humidity.
- The presence of air exchange is very important.
- The type of egg laying also plays a significant role. To remove this bird, they are stacked with a blunt end up.
The firm, as well as the place of release, the price of the incubator - moments that relate only to the breeder. Everyone has their own preferences in this regard, they do not play a special role for hatching eggs.
It is important to note that regardless of the type of incubator or its additional functions, the percentage of hatchability of chicks when using an incubator rarely exceeds 75%.
What eggs can I use?Read also these articles.
- How to store winter garlic
- Melon collective farmer
- Wheat gluten
- Variety pear Forest Beauty
To obtain fertilized eggs, the breeder must form flocks in which there will be 4 females per 1 male. The highest percentage of eggs fertility occurs in the middle of spring. During this period, fertility is 80% or more.
Eggs for incubating guinea fowls at home are collected until 11 am
Eggs for incubation of guinea fowls at home are collected until 11 am. It is advisable to take clean testicles. On the shell should not be dirt and droppings! Such material is suitable for incubation for 8 days when stored indoors with a temperature of + 8 ... + 12 degrees and a humidity of 80%. The room should be dark, and the eggs should lie directly blunt end up.
Guinea fowl eggs are divided into three categories by weight:
- 36-40 grams - small;
- 41-44 grams - medium;
- 45-50 grams - large.
All three groups are suitable for incubation, only you need to choose testicles of the same weight, but not different, that is, from the same category and only the correct form! Otherwise, they will develop unevenly, an incubator or something like that may not work properly.
In addition to the weight and weight of the egg, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the shell should be no thinner than 0.55 mm.
Eggs are taken only from females that are older than 1 year old, they need to be properly fed a month before receiving eggs, so that the shell is strong, there is enough vitamin, there are no diseases or infections. And one more thing - they should be taken no earlier than 20 days from the date of the start of egg-laying.
It is recommended not to use for the incubation of the hens' eggs with the shell of "marble" color. It is scientifically proven that the embryo in them almost never develops. Chances of success are 5-15%.
How to prepare eggs for incubation?
Incubation of guinea fowls is almost a sterile and very precise process, therefore, they need to be prepared before laying eggs.
On the ovoskop check eggs for chips and cracks, as well as the embryo itself
- Before laying eggs in the incubator, warm up to room temperature.
- Then they are carefully examined - any dirt should be wiped with a damp cloth.
- After that, on the ovoskop, the material is checked for chips and cracks, as well as the embryo itself.
- Irradiation with a quartz lamp for 5 minutes, allows you to destroy any microbes that may be on the surface of the shell.
- The next stage is the processing of the shell with a solution of iodine or potassium permanganate. The factories use for this pair of formaldehyde.
Chickens egg incubation mode tableWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting cucumbers in open ground
- Breed Shaver Brown
- Diseases and control of apple trees
- Autoclave Bulat
Guinea fowl eggs are very demanding on the regime in the incubator
Guinea fowl eggs are very demanding for the regime in the incubator, and react to this with any deviations. So it is important to adhere to the norms throughout the entire period of embryo development. The development takes place within 26-28 days. The 28th day is the last date, if the chick has not hatched, then it will not be, although some breeders extend the regime for another 1-3 days just in case.
When incubating chickens eggs at home, it is important to monitor the availability of electricity, in the event of its disconnection - the incubator should be covered with blankets and, if possible, be covered with hot water bottles to maintain the temperature. Prolonged downtime of an incubator without electricity is dangerous for guinea fowl embryos.
Table of temperature regimes during the incubation of guinea fowl eggs:
|Incubation Day||Temperature (° C)||Humidity (%)||Airing eggs (min.)|
Eggs are turned over 2-3 times a day, but from the 26th day they are no longer disturbed and left in one position until the nestling appears.
The test for embryo development is performed 4 times. This is done in order to notice an egg with a frozen protein mass in time (they no longer develop). If they are not reached, they simply burst and infect all eggs in the incubator. Always use an ovoscope to check eggs.
- On the 8th day, all unfertilized eggs that fell into the incubator are removed.
- On day 15, you need to remove those in which there is a blood ring on an orange background.
- 24 day - laid frozen embryos.
- 28 - all eggs that have not hatched are removed every day.
Nestlings hatch normally together within 15-20 hours, if there were no disturbances in the incubation mode.
It is imperative that hatching takes place in complete silence. The room should be isolated from the sounds, as a loud knock, barking, screaming can lead to the death of the embryo.
If you have any problems?
There are a number of factors that in one way or another affect the hatchability of guinea fowls, and it is because of them that one or other problems may arise. Below are tips that can help the breeder increase the percentage of hatching.
Best results in fertilization are given by females aged 2-4 years
- Incubation of guinea fowls should take place without violation of the regime, so it is worth buying a good machine with an additional battery.
- Receiving a large number of unfertilized eggs is most often associated with poor conditions for the maintenance of the maternal herd, as well as a lack of vitamins and minerals in the female's body.
- The best results on fertilization are given by females aged 2-4 years. And males are most productive up to 2 years.
- Mating of young males with 2-year-old guinea fowl contributes to an increase in fertilization.