Ducks are often bred in the household. They have tasty meat, and growing them is not difficult. The meat industry is in the greatest demand, because it is the ducks, and not their eggs or feather, that are primarily valued. Duck beef breeds quickly gain mass, have tender meat and many other features. The article will describe the characteristics of meat breeds and the best representatives of this trend.
Characteristics of duck meat breeds
All duck meat breeds have several common features that characterize them as a separate area. Before you start any of the meat breeds, you should familiarize yourself with these characteristics, because they affect both spending and the characteristics of the poultry.
- The taste and structure of meat. Duck meat breeds have tender, juicy, nutritious and tasty meat. It does not need to be digested for a long time, so that it becomes edible - it is soft even if used immediately after slaughter without prior boiling, beating or prolonged soaking. Taste is pleasant, without bitterness, a bad smell. Use universal - boiling, stewing, frying.
Duck meat breeds have tender, juicy, nutritious and tasty meat.
- The weight of ducks of meat breeds is much more than that of birds of the egg and meat-bearing directions. And this allows you to get a good profit from breeding or to provide family with meat for months or years in advance (if the breeder likes to breed them).
- Precocity. These birds gain weight quickly. Literally in 1-2 months you can fatten the young to almost the final weight of an adult bird. So it is beneficial to keep them - feeding short, a lot of product.
- Feeding. This is rather the negative side of the ducks meat direction. In order for the bird to grow healthy and quickly gain the desired weight, you need to give it a good feed or a balanced homemade meal. Both of these options are very expensive. Although it is worth noting that expensive duck feeding pays off, and yet not all breeders like the large initial cash investments.
Bashkir duck breedRead also these articles.
- How to feed the ducks of mulard
- Alpine goats
- Altai melon variety
- Diseases of cabbage in open ground
The Bashkir duck breed is one of the best representatives of the meat industry. The weight of adults reaches 4 kg, and the ducklings in 1.5 months - 3.3 kg! At the same time, the output of meat after slaughter is 70% due to light and thin bones.
Bashkir duck breed
Egg productivity is also high. For the year, they give 150-200 eggs with normal, non-vitaminized feeding. Hatchability of ducklings 70-80%. The breed has a good maternal instinct.
The appearance of the Bashkir duck breed is quite bright. The bird itself can be of two types of plumage: khaki and black, white-breasted. The beak is flat, concave. The head is slightly flattened, the paws are set wide apart, so the body is low above the ground. The body is muscular, strong, like other breeds of meat ducks.
In terms of popularity, Duck meat breeds are headed by Peking. They have a creamy white plumage, an orange-red beak and legs. The body is slightly elongated, the tail is slightly raised to the top. The neck is not long, the head is proportional to the body. The skeleton is strong, the body is elevated above the ground.
The average weight of a female is 3.5 kg, the male is 4 kg. Already by 1.5 months, ducklings can gain 3 kg, in good feed. The meat share after slaughter is 66.8%. Peking duck is not picky about food and can eat anything. At the same time, it is worth paying attention to the fact that young animals are best for slaughter, since it has more tender meat and this is done before the juvenile molting period.
80-120 eggs are fertile per year with at least 70-80% of them fertilized. If the male and female before egg-laying are fed on vitamin mixtures, fertilization will increase to 85-90%.
The disadvantages of this breed of meat ducks can be attributed to nervousness. They are noisy, can fight with other species and even among themselves, scared of anything (loud sound, scream, exhaust). The main advantage, in addition to meat and fertility, is a good immune system and overall bird health.
Rouen DuckWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Pumpkin Jam Recipes
- Wax moth (Ognevka bee)
- Red Baron onion variety
- Description of the variety cabbage Glory
Rouen breed ducks come from France. Local scientists received it not by crossing, but by selection from wild individuals. Only those representatives who had a large body mass were considered good, and the rest were eliminated.
The weight of the females is 3.5 kg, the drakes are 4 kg, but with a good feed, a balanced diet you can achieve that the weight of the duck will reach 6-6.5 kg - this is quite real! As for the young, by 1.5-2 months the individuals reach 2.5 kg and this is a very rapid weight gain, since for the most part duck meat breeds reach such a mass closer to 3-4 months of life.
They have a compact body, a beautiful curved neck, a medium sized head. The wings are pressed to the body. Plumage motley. The head and part of the neck are dark green, then there is a golden “necklace” around the neck, below is a gray breast that goes into the wings and belly. The wings are blue-brown. The tail is dark, closer to black. The beak is yellow, and the paws are of a dirty orange color. The females are mostly brown, but there is a black border on the pen, which makes them look very elegant.
The disadvantages of this meat breed ducks include:
- low egg production - 100 eggs per year;
- the carcass does not have a presentation, although the meat is very beautiful, tender and tasty;
- individuals are prone to obesity.
Gray Ukrainian duck
The gray Ukrainian breed of ducks was bred by crossing domestic and wild ducks. It has a gray-brown plumage, a dark almost black beak, red-brown legs. The body is compact but massive. The weight of a drake can be up to 4 kg, for a duck - 3 kg.
Gray Ukrainian duck
The body of representatives of this species is very large, volumetric, the neck and head are small, but proportional to the body, they do not stand out. The wings are not very tightly pressed to the body, which makes the torso visually even larger.
Ducklings of gray Ukrainian ducks grow quickly and quickly gain mass, although they are inferior in this respect to peking. 2 kg they weigh at 2 months and at about this age they are allowed to be slaughtered.
Nutrition, as in the case of other meat breeds of ducks, should be balanced and include animal feed. In the summer it is given less, because the bird on the street finds many useful herbs and without it is fed up, but in the winter part of the feed in the diet increases to half, otherwise the weight of the young may "suffer".
The main advantage - resistance to significant frosts. In winter, they can live in a house without heating and at the same time not be ill. The main thing is to avoid drafts.
Musk Duck Description
Duck meat breeds also include musk birds. Muscovy ducks have a remarkable appearance. Their beak is narrow, tapers towards the end and bends slightly. The color of the beak is flesh-colored, around it there are skin growths of a bright pink color without plumage. The constitution is dense, the torso is slightly raised above the ground. The wings are large, the tail is long, when compared with other breeds. The plumage is black and white, white, blue, white with a pattern, brown - that is, there are many variations.
Muscovy ducks weigh within 4 kg, drakes can reach 6 kg. Ducklings grow quickly, but muscle mass is not gaining very quickly. So in 2 months they weigh about 1.2 kg. Egg production 110 eggs per year.
The main advantages: immunity, tasty, dietary meat, unpretentiousness, no noise.
Disadvantages: does not like the neighborhood with other meat breeds of ducks and birds of other directions, can not be kept without a reservoir.
Black white-breasted duck
The breed was obtained in Ukraine by crossing Peking, white-breasted Ukrainian and Khaki-Campbell drakes. They have black plumage, and the breast and part of the neck are white, from which the name comes. The skeleton is strong, the body is raised, the back is even. The tail is small. The head is not very small; it has a greenish tinge of feathers near the drakes. The beak is usually dark or dirty yellow, and the legs are brown.
Black white-breasted duck
The weight of females - 3.5 kg, males - 4 kg. Ducklings are slaughtered at about 3-3.5 months. By 2 months they weigh 1.6-2 kg, by 3 months - 2.5-3 kg. Egg production - 130 eggs per year.
The meat of this breed is very tasty and juicy, there is much more fat in it than in the case of the same pekinki or gray Ukrainian duck.
What other breeds of ducks belong to meat?
Duck meat breeds have many different representatives, not to list them all, especially since new species appear annually. The above describes the most productive and beneficial in terms of keeping and breeding for meat. Below are described less popular types.
- Moscow White Duck meat breed grows to 3.5-4.5 kg. By 2 months the young growth reaches 2.5 kg and at this age it is slaughtered or left for further breeding. The average egg production is 130 eggs per year from one layer. In appearance, the Moscow white is very similar to the Peking duck - its ancestor. Representatives of the species have white plumage, clean, without stains, red-orange beak and legs, the tail is bent upwards. The difference is that these individuals may have a more massive appearance, their plumage is snow-white, and in Peking ducks it has a creamy tint.
Moscow white duck
- Aylesbury - very productive breed of meat ducks. Females weigh 3.3–5 kg, males weigh 4.1–5.5 kg. By 1.5 months, ducklings reach a mass of 2-2.5 kg. Egg production on average 90 eggs. The breed is popular in England and is divorced for industrial purposes, but it is almost not kept in the household, and it is almost not distributed outside of England. She needs expensive food, good care, a large, weatherproof and drafty house.
- Favorite Blue have a beautiful blue-gray plumage with white markings on the chest. The weight of females is 3.5-4 kg, the male is 4-5.5 kg. Ducklings quickly gain weight and by 2 months weigh 2.7-3.6 kg. Egg production - 110-130 eggs per year. The disadvantage is that females have almost completely lost their maternal instinct. The Blue Favorite breed can be called experimental, it is not common everywhere, so it is difficult to acquire young stock for breeding.
There is still a large number of meat breeds of ducks which include: duck Agidel, Star 53, Moulard, and others.