Winter pear varieties have excellent winter hardiness and long shelf life of the crop. But there are not so many winter varieties with high characteristics. Below will be described winter varieties with the highest quality indicators that can be grown in warm and in cold regions.
What are the features of winter pear varieties?
The fruits of winter honeycombs pears are always collected before they ripen. They are collected, then packaged and hidden for 1-2 months. During this time, the fruits are filled with juice, ripen and acquire their natural pleasant pear flavor and aroma.
The taste of pears of this type is always very sweet, they have a large proportion of sugars and vitamins in the composition, and therefore are very useful for children and adults in a fresh and processed form.
The shelf life of winter pears can be up to 6 months.
The shelf life of winter pears can be up to 6 months under good storage conditions. Trees are characterized by high winter hardiness, but in the most northern regions they are still worth warming for the winter.
Often pears of winter varieties are planted for the sale of fruits. After all, they, as a rule, are perfectly transported to any distances, and also have excellent commercial quality.
The use is universal. Winter pears can be eaten fresh, preserved, processed into juice, jam, frozen, and also dried.
What grades can withstand the lowest temperatures?Read also these articles.
- Cucumber Masha F1 and its characteristics
- Quail food
- Currant variety Selechenskaya
- The better to feed the pear in the spring
Winter pear varieties can withstand severe cold snaps, but frosts of more than -25 degrees are usually destructive for them. That is why pears are always warmed for winter. And yet there are some very hardy in terms of low temperatures pear varieties.
- "Nika" differs in very good frost resistance. Cold to -38 degrees for her are not terrible. It grows up to 4 meters. Fruits 150-200 g with a smooth oily skin. The color is green, and after full ripening it is light yellow with red spots all over the surface of the fruit. The flesh is fine-grained, sweet, oily consistency.
- "Hera" It has excellent resistance to frost down to -38 degrees. The tree is of medium height, the crown is neat, compact. Fruiting begins with 4 years of age. Productivity reaches 40 kg / tree. It has moderate resistance to disease and frost. Pears up to 250 g, reach technical maturity in mid-September. Fruits are up to 5 months, then begin to deteriorate.
What grades withstand the lowest temperatures
- "November" - winter variety of pears, not afraid of frost down to -30 degrees. The tree grows up to 4-5 meters. Crown spreading. Fruits are pear-shaped and of unequal size from 70 to 350 g. Fruits are stored until April in good conditions.
- "Concord" has similar characteristics with the variety "Conference". Collect it from the end of September or the beginning of October, while there is fruit only from mid-October. Fruits are stored until mid-February or March, then begin to deteriorate. Withstand frost to -29.1 degrees Celsius. There is resistance to fungal diseases. Productivity is high. Fruits up to 200 g, record weight - 350 g. Pear-shaped, elongated. The peel is oily, yellow with a red, blurred blush. The taste is sweet, the pulp is aromatic and juicy.
What are the best varieties of winter pears?
The most fruitful, winter varieties of pears allow for the year to collect from a tree of 100 kg of fruit and more. This amount allows you to earn on their sale or canning for the winter.
- "Saint-Germain" with good care can give for the year up to 250 kg of pears from one tree. Fruits only slightly resemble a pear shape, they are longer, can be curved, weigh up to 220 g. The rind is thin, dense. The variety is prone to dropping off, because it is worth collecting the fruit immediately after ripening. The color is initially green, and after maturation it is yellow with subcutaneous spots. The flesh is juicy, refreshing with a strong pleasant aroma.
- "Ardanpon" gives annually 180 kg of pears from one tree. Fruits weigh 170-220 g. Stored until January, have excellent transportability. Among the disadvantages is uneven ripening and rapid shedding of ripe fruits. Winter warming is required, as it may not survive frosts of more than -20 degrees.
What grades of winter pears are the most fruitful
- "Cure" - winter pear variety, giving 100 kg of tasty fruits for one season from each tree. Vigorous, has a developed, extensive crown. Fruits in 3 years of life. Fruits up to 250 g are stored for a long time. After 2 months after full maturity, they begin to deteriorate gradually. The taste is normal, but consumers say that it is too bland, without a pronounced pear flavor.
- "Parisian" has a high yield - up to 100 kg per tree. Resistant to frost, bears fruit for 4 years after planting. The tree is of medium height. Fruits up to 180 grams reach technical ripeness in October and are stored until the end of winter. It has good transportability, does not crumble, and has a friendly maturation. Requires annual treatment of diseases and pests.
- "Dean Krasnokutskaya" gives a year up to 100 kg of fruit from the tree. Trees grow up to 3 meters. In the winter they should be warmed, as they can not withstand severe frosts. Yellow-green pears, short pear-shaped. The flesh is juicy, sweet after full ripening. Harvest in September, eat in a month, and it is stored until the end of February.
Which varieties are best kept?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Strawberry processing in the fall
- Peperomia Flower
- How to freeze zucchini
- Strawberry diseases and pests
Winter pear varieties are distinguished by the fact that they are stored for a very long time, but which varieties can lie until the beginning of spring or even until May?
- "May Day" pear can be stored up to 8 months! Fruits of 150 grams, there are up to 200 g. The form is correct, the consistency of the flesh is oily, the taste is juicy, sweet with sourness and light tartness. The color of the fruit is green, and after ripening it is yellowish with red-brown spots all over the surface. It has a strong aroma. Fungal diseases are not affected.
- "Highlight of Crimea" has very storage resistant fruits. Under normal conditions, they are 7 months without changing the taste and quality of the pulp. Fruiting trees from 4 years. Productivity is high. Pears can grow up to 400 grams, the shape is typical, pear-shaped, golden color. The taste is pleasant, the flesh is soft, sweet and sour.
Which varieties are best kept
- "Belarusian late" stored for up to 6 months. It has a stable high yield. This winter variety of pears matures from mid-September. Fruits of 120 g. Color of technical ripeness, when they are harvested, green with a brown blush. A month after collecting a yellow color with a blurry red side. The flesh is juicy, fine-grained, there is sourness, but the basic taste is sweet. The tree grows up to 4 meters, enters fructification for 3 year.
- "Winter Kubarevidnaya" may lie 5-6 months after collection. Fruits are pear-shaped, with clear outlines, up to 200 g with a dense, rough green skin and a brown blush. After full ripening, the flesh becomes white, juicy and sweet with an insignificant amount of acid. The tree grows up to 4 meters; later on, the main deficiencies are late fruiting - 6-7 years.