A good raspberry variety is not only delicious berries, but also simple cultivation, acceptable characteristics, abundance of advantages and a minimum of drawbacks. Each gardener has his own favorite raspberry varieties. For many, the best yellow raspberry variety is the Yellow Giant. About what qualities the raspberry Yellow Giant has, how to grow it and process the crop, you can read below in the article.
Description of the variety Yellow Giant
The variety is medium early, remontant, bred in Moscow and therefore grows very well in the Moscow region and cities (countries) with a similar climate. Shrubs are large, growing many thick shoots up to 2.2 meters, growing in different directions. On the shoots there are small spikes.
Berries gain weight on average up to 8 grams
Berries gain weight up to 8 grams, but there are champions under 12 grams and Lilliputians 4-6 g each. Berries may not be equal in size and shape. For the most part, the shape is typical, like that of a raspberry - cone-shaped with a blunt end, but twisted and twin specimens come across. The color of raspberry is yellow, the surface glitters a little.
It is believed that the raspberry Yellow Giant is the sweetest among all types of yellow varieties. So whether it can be easily verified by growing it, but numerous reviews speak in favor of this fact. The berries have a pleasant texture, the seeds are not very large. The variety has a distinct, pleasant aroma.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Yellow Giant?Read also these articles.
- Holstein breed of cows
- Horse Vladimirsky heavy truck
- How to plant gooseberry spring seedlings
- How many days does a duck sit on eggs
Raspberry Yellow Giant is very often found in vegetable gardens in Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Poland. This is a popular species for growing in small areas. But why is this variety so common?
- Fruiting is long, the berries ripen in batches twice a year. The first harvest can be taken in July, and the last in October.
- Productivity is stable. Berries bushes give each year in about the same amount, if properly carried out pruning and some other measures of care. In one year, 9-12 kg of berries are collected from each bush on average.
Important! The yield of 9-12 kg is observed under the condition that the bush fructifies 2 times (in summer and autumn). However, in the northern and middle regions, he may not have time to give a second crop, and if the bush was cut in the fall at the root, then the first (summer) crop will also not be. This means that in these cases, the yield is reduced to 4.5-6 kg / year.
- Large fruit. Raspberries have an average berry weight of 8 grams.
- Commodity quality. Raspberry Yellow Giant is a beautiful variety, the berries are attractive, attract the attention of buyers, and this simplifies the sale of products.
- The variety withstands much of the diseases and pests that can attack it during the entire warm season. Only in rare cases, treatment with insecticides and fungicides may be required.
- Winter hardiness up to -30 degrees. With Moscow winters, raspberries do not freeze out; in the spring they quickly move away from winter sleep.
In one year, 9-12 kg of berries are collected from each bush on average.
The drawbacks of the Yellow Giant are also not without.
- Transportability is not very good. The collected berries are stored for up to 4 days in the fridge, but on the road they can crease, the appearance on arrival at the place of sale is usually unsatisfactory. Therefore, for sale is usually robbed a little immature, dense berries in the early morning, before the dew falls.
- When cooking, the berry crumbles, so it’s impossible to boil jam with whole berries.
- When excess moisture in the ground can start to rot or just give tasteless berries.
- Spike shoots complicates harvesting.
- Root growth is developing rapidly. This is good if you need to propagate the crop, but young shoots can "fill in" the entire path and complicate movement in the rows.
How to plant a raspberry yellow giant?
You can plant a raspberry yellow giant in spring or autumn. In the spring, they do it from March to May, and in the fall from September to October. But there are some nuances. In spring, planting is recommended in the second half of March or in early April, when the plant has not yet "awakened" from its winter sleep. Otherwise, it simply does not take root, the roots in the ground begin to rot. In the autumn you need to plant a raspberry a month before the frost.
Seedlings need to be located at a certain distance from each other - 0.5-1 m
A place for landing is chosen sunny or in partial shade. In full shade, the raspberry Yellow Giant just will not grow well, the harvest will give meager, not sweet. Groundwater should be low, as this variety does not tolerate an abundance of moisture. An alternative may be planting bushes on high ground. Before planting, the land can be fertilized with compost, but you should not get carried away, it grows well even without fertilizer if the land is fertile.
Planted annual seedlings varieties Yellow Giant. They should be between 10 and 30 cm in size. If the planting material is larger, it is shortened, since large ponds simply do not take root in the ground and can freeze during the first frost.
Seedlings should be placed at a certain distance from each other - 0.5-1 m. They are submerged by no more than 15 cm. After planting, the ground is well trampled and watered.
How to care for a grade?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Periwinkle flower
- How to grow garden strawberries
- Peony Varieties with Description and Photos
- Milk Separator
High-quality care will allow you to harvest as early as possible, and the taste of the berries will delight the gardener.
- Raspberry Yellow Giant loves moisture, but not its abundance. Watering is needed regular, in small quantities, so that the earth does not swamp. You can equip the drip system, if the scale of planting large, and this procedure takes a long time.
Weeds should not grow in plantings
- Weeds should not grow in plantings, they must be uprooted all the time and burned outside the site, otherwise they will seed in the ground and germinate again. To simplify this procedure, it is possible to pour a layer of mulch under the raspberry bushes in rows. This is additional nutrition to the land and plants, the ability to keep moisture in the soil for a longer time, the overlapping of the access of the sun to weeds (they will have no place to grow).
- The first harvest of the year always ripens at last year's wagons. Young twigs bear fruit, usually in early or mid autumn. Proceeding from this and it is necessary to conduct pruning. If you cut all the pagans at the root, the harvest in the new year will be late. Since the young shoots need to ripen, so that it began to appear berries.
- Pagons of this grade are strong and thick, therefore they can withstand the load of the crop without any problems, they do not break and do not bend too much. However, the berries may not be very convenient to collect, especially if the bushes grow strongly. Therefore, they are usually grown all the same on the trellis, or simply formed into even rows and tied up. This simplifies harvesting and movement between rows.
Fertilizers always make the winter between the rows
- Fertilizers always make the winter between the rows. Brought under the digging of organic matter or minerals, you can alternate them by year. From organic suitable humus, compost, ash. From minerals, you can choose superphosphate.
- Treatment from pests is rarely needed, usually it is not carried out, except for prevention by any folk remedies. Raspberry Yellow Giant copes well with these problems without the help of the gardener. Intervention is needed only if the disease is incurable or if the disease (pest) quickly affects neighboring cultures.
When is the harvest?
Harvest raspberries Yellow Giant begin to collect in July. It was at this time that the first berries ripen. Of course, the hotter the climate and the warmer the summer, the faster it will be possible to feast on tasty fruits. The last harvest is about October.
Important! In the middle and northern regions, with early winter, the second harvest may not be at all, since the frosts will make impossible the normal ripening of berries. Often, green raspberries appear on the bushes, but they just do not have time to ripen.
After harvesting, the raspberry Yellow Giant may lie for another 4 days, then it deteriorates quickly, rots. During these 4 days you need to either eat it fresh, sell it, or process it. From the variety can turn out very tasty and healthy jam for the winter, compote, jam. Sometimes it is frozen, in this form, fresh, thawed berries can be eaten even in January or February! They will not lose their taste, but, unfortunately, they will not be able to keep their former shape.
After harvesting, the raspberry Yellow Giant can lie for another 4 days, then it deteriorates quickly, rots
Not bad proved the berries of the Yellow Giant in baking, desserts, fresh juices. But, naturally, most often they are simply eaten fresh. It is fresh raspberry contains the greatest amount of nutrients and vitamins. The berries of this variety are so sweet that they are given to children instead of sweets and sweet pastries. They are useful for the body, do not cause allergies, are excellent prevention of disease.