Watermelon is a favorite product for everyone, but for many lovers of the sweet berry, the real problem is choosing the seed from the tasty slices. Therefore, they prefer unique varieties that have no seeds. Watermelon without stones is popular all over the world. It is much easier to eat or use to prepare a variety of desserts, dishes. The article will describe the best varieties of seedless, as well as the origin of this type of melons, its characteristics and cultivation.
History of origin
In the 40s-50s of the 20th century, the Japanese brought out the first seedless watermelon. The novelty has widely shaken the world market and, following Japan, breeders from the USA, Bulgaria, Holland and Russia presented their watermelons without stones.
Today, this kind of watermelon will not surprise anyone, although many buyers are still wary of it, because they see the result of GMOs or something similar and harmful in the berry. But in fact, seedless watermelon is a consequence of selection work and GMOs have nothing to do with it. Seeds are obtained as a result of crossing certain varieties of watermelons, but as a result of this process, the seeds obtained lose their parental qualities.
Photo of watermelon without stones
What are the features of watermelon seedless?Read also these articles.
- Vietnamese melon
- Early peach varieties
- The best dairy breeds of cows
The mere fact that seedless watermelon has no seeds is its most obvious and pleasant feature. But what else stand out the big berries of this species?
- The sugar content in such varieties and hybrids is usually higher than that of those that have seeds. For sweet teeth, this is good news. To get on the unsweetened watermelon of this type is almost impossible.
- The pulp consistency is looser, as experts note, and the boneless watermelon's flesh is much more watery. But it does not affect the taste.
- The taste is intense, watermelon, exactly the same as that of its stone fruit counterparts.
- For successful fruiting and high yields near varieties of watermelons without seeds, it is recommended to plant pollinator varieties.
- The weight of seedless watermelons is usually small. Record holders are considered fruits of more than 6 kg.
- The form is usually oblong.
Despite the opinion that this species does not have pits at all, this is not quite so. They are, only underdeveloped. During consumption, you can find a lot of white, undeveloped seeds.
Photo of seeds of watermelons without stones Saga F1, Boston F1. Regus F1
The best varieties of seedless watermelons
There are a lot of varieties of watermelons without seeds today. Their selection for the most part are engaged in the United States, Holland, Israel. Interestingly, in Israel, watermelons with stones have long been out of use. To meet this kind of market is very difficult. Brief description of varieties of watermelon seedless with characteristics:
- "F1 sagas"- a large-fruited hybrid. Fruit weight can reach 8-12 kg, with proper cultivation and plenty of sun. Watermelons are oval, the skin is green, with dark green stripes. The flesh is dark red, very sweet, crisp and juicy.
- "Ecstasy F1"- a late hybrid of the Dutch selection. Fruit weight is a small 1.5-2 kg. The peel is dark green with light green stripes. The sugar content can reach 14%. It is stored for a long time, the yield is stable and high.
- "Regus F1"- an early ripe hybrid of a watermelon without a stone. As a pollinator, next to it, you can sow the varieties" Krimstar F1 "," Shuga baby F1 ". The fruits are almost round, but slightly oblate on the sides. The rind is light green with thin dark green stripes. Mass fruits usually do not reach 7 kg.It is characterized by long storage, transportability.The pulp is sweet.There is resistance to fusarium and anthracnose.
- "Boston F1"- an early hybrid. Fruits are almost round, weighing up to 8 kg. The peel is dense, the color is green, with darker stripes. The flesh is dark red, sweet. It grows well in various areas. It is resistant to cracking of fruits, the formation of voids. Well transported.
- "Imbar F1"- yellow seedless watermelon of Israeli breeding. It ripens in 60-65 days. The rind is dense, dark green. The average weight is 5 kg. The flesh is yellow, with a slight orange tint when over-singing. The taste is crispy, very sweet. The hybrid has a high transportability .
- "Elow Buttercap F1"- yellow watermelon. It ripens in 75-80 days. The fruits are round, up to 9 kg. It grows well only in the southern regions of the world, where there is a lot of sun and heat. The plant is powerful, branchy. The taste is pleasant, with pumpkin flavor, very sweet due to its high content sugar in the composition.
The popular varieties of seedless watermelons also include Ortal F1, Red King, Lunar, and Sanday Special F1.
Our readers recommend reading: the best varieties of watermelons with a description and photo, how to grow watermelons in the open field and greenhouse.
Photo of watermelons without bone Imbar F1, Butterkan F1, Ortal F1
What are the features of growing?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Raspberry Transplant in the Fall
- Pepper Californian miracle
- Cultivar variety Rodnichok F1
- How many days does the chicken incubate eggs?
Growing seedless watermelon is a little harder than simple. Problems can be observed already during the germination of seeds. So if ordinary watermelons germinate at +13 degrees, then these are only at +25 degrees Celsius.
It is desirable to sow them initially in separate trays with a high-quality, nutritious substrate. During the cultivation of seedlings, it is important to ensure that the soil does not dry out, but it is not too wet. After 3-5 weeks, the plants are ready for transplanting to a permanent place.
Seedless varieties are usually grown in greenhouses or greenhouses, and pollinators are planted close by, next to them - they will not interfere with each other. To obtain the highest yield, every third plant in a row must be a pollinator.
The seedless watermelon grows well only if there is enough sun and nutrients in the soil. Fertilizers are applied at least once a month. And the sun should completely cover the fruit for most of the day. You can use mulch to grow less weeds that need to be removed as they appear.
To facilitate the work, it is desirable to install a drip irrigation system. If necessary, destroy pests and spray the culture from diseases.
Frequent problems when growing
Due to the fact that seedless watermelons do not have maternal qualities, they are rather weak as plants and need careful care.
- Chill is one of the frequent problems. These watermelons need warmth throughout their growth and development. Even a slight cooling can lead to rotting of the root system or fruits.
- Pests and diseases often attack them, and plants cannot resist them for a long time. So in this case, preventive treatment is recommended.
- Fruit harvesting should not be postponed, as these watermelons can begin to deteriorate rapidly.
- To increase yields and maximize productivity, it is necessary to plant stone pollinators next to them.